1x6 Naniwa Chosera 2K Grit
The 1x6" Naniwa Chosera 2K Grit stone is an excellent stone for light touching up and routine maintenance on dull, but otherwise intact, edges. It leaves a very respectable and functional work sharp edge that is more than acceptable for almost any knife or tool. This stone cleans up scratches from most lower grit waterstones and from finer diamond plates and stones. It is a very good stone to finish on or to use as a medium grit stone before progressing to finer grits.
1" x 6" x 5mm in size and mounted to a steel blank, the 1K Chosera is used with water only and works best when soaked in water for a minute or two before use. Store in a dry place in between use.
Abrasive: Aluminum Oxide
Ideal place in a sharpening progression:
- Starting grit for light repair and maintenance of an already sharpened but dull edge.
- After higher diamond grit plate or stones to clean deeper scratches.
- After lower grit sharpening stones (220, 320, 400, 600, 800, 1K, 1,500 grit)
- After medium belt grinder grits (400, A30, A15 Trizact grit)
- Before progressing to a finer medium grit stone and/or a lower grit polishing stone (3K - 8K grit)
- A final stone for respectable sharpness on many knives and tools.
The 2K Grit Naniwa Chosera sharpening stone is a premium sharpening stone that works on almost all types of knives, scissors, tools and chisels, including those made with abrasion resistant steels. Even though the 1x6 size is meant for use with the Edge Pro, Hapstone and TSProf sharpeners, it is also a great size for a slip stone, field stone or a pocket stone for knife sharpening on the go, or to remove unwanted burrs.
On More Traditional Carbon Steel and Stainless Steel Edges, the 2K Chosera stone works on steels between RC 52 and RC 65 on the Rockwell C Hardness scale. On softer end steels such as X50CrMoV15, AUS6, 440B, and most stainless steels used by many kitchen knife makers like Henckels, Wüsthof, Gunter Wilhelm, F Dick, Victorinox, etc., this stone easily maintains and sharpens, leaving a superior working edge, especially for kitchen use.
On the higher end of the hardness spectrum of traditional steel edges made with steels like 1095, 52100, 440C, Aogami White, Shirogami Blue, O1, W1, etc. The Chosera 2K removes light surface rust, reestablishes the bevel and edges and leaves a respectable working sharp edge that is ready for use or more refinement. The slightly softer matrix of this stone lends itself to the harder steels.
On Carbide Forming Steel and More Abrasion Resistant Steel Edges such as VG-10, D2, M2, S35V, S90V, etc., The 2K Chosera stone is more of a mid-grit level finish stone. It still removes matrix steel and carbides and forms a shiny but not mirror finish when the edge is prepped properly beforehand. But if not prepped with lower grits, it begins to reveal previous scratches not yet removed by lower grits. The 2K edge on these steels is more refined and still a little toothy. It can be used as is, or to be further refined with stropping or finer grits stones.
Hacks and Tips:
- Use a moderate amount of water when sharpening with this stone to avoid the black swarf from turning into a thick paste. A cleaner surface will cut faster than a thicker pasted one.
- If using this stone as a final or polishing grit, keep the black swarf viscous and it will produce a slightly more refined edge.
- Lap this stone with a coarse or extra coarse diamond plate, silicon carbide (SiC) powder, or low grit wet dry sand paper to keep it consistently flat and clean.
The Choseras are waterstones, and are not to be used with oil, but can be used in conjunction with oil stones (such as Norton India and other carborundum and Arkansas stones) if the blade is wiped clean before and after switching stone types. They can also be used in a mix and match progression with other synthetic and natural sharpening stones, as well with other brands such as Shapton, Sigma, Suehiro, Imanishi, Spyderco, King, etc. Naniwa Chosera is the original name of this stone line, and is now rebranded as Naniwa Professional Stones.
Comparable Stones: Jende 2K SPK, Shapton 2K, Sigma Ceramic 2K Hard
Alternative Mid Level Stones: Imanishi 2K, Suehiro DBO 1,500