1x6 Sigma 1K B
1x6 Sigma Ceramic, Oribest and Select II stones for the Edge Pro, Hapstone Sharpener & TSProf.
The 1x6 Sigma 1K B grit stone is an economic level, medium grit stone used for light profiling, routine repairs, initial sharpening, and can be used as a worksharp edge or as a step for continuing to further refinement. This 1K economic level stone differs from the other economical stones in its class due to having a resin bond rather than the clay binder of other stones.
1" x 6" x 5mm in size and mounted to a steel blank, it is used with water only and work best when soaked in water for a minute or two before use. Store in a dry place in between use.
Abrasive Material: Aluminum Oxide
Ideal place in a sharpening progression:
- Starting grit for routine repairs and light profiling.
- Starting grit for initial sharpening and maintenance
- Cleaning of deep scratches made by extra coarse and coarse diamond grit plates.
- After coarse belt grinder grits (80, 100, 120, 220, A65 Trizact grit)
- After coarse sharpening stone grits (120-800 grit)
- As a final stone leaving a respectable working sharp edge.
- Before progressing finer medium grits and initial polishing stones (2K-6K grit)
The Sigma 1K B sharpening stone is an economy level medium grit sharpening stone that works on almost all types of knives, scissors, tools and chisels, including those made with abrasion resistant steels. While the 1x6 size is meant for use with the Edge Pro, Hapstone and TSProf sharpeners, it is also a great size for a slip stone, field stone or a pocket stone for knife repairs and sharpening on the go.
This stone can also be used in a mix and match progression of other synthetic and natural sharpening stones, as well with other brands such as Naniwa, Shapton, Suehiro, Imanishi, Spyderco, King, etc. This is a waterstone, and is not to be used with oil, but can be used in conjunction with oil stones (such as Norton India and other carborundum and Arkansas stones) if the blade is wiped clean before and after switching stone types.
On More Traditional Carbon Steel and Stainless Steel Edges the Sigma 1K B works on steels between RC 52 and RC 65 on the Rockwell C Hardness scale. The stone’s resin matrix leaves a slightly finer finish on the softer end of the spectrum of most steels used by many kitchen knife makers like Henckels, Wüsthof, Gunter Wilhelm, F Dick, Victorinox, etc. and steels like X50CrMoV15, AUS6, and 440B.
On the higher end of the hardness spectrum of traditional steel edges made with steels like 1095, 440C, 52100, Aogami White, O1, Shirogami Blue, W1, etc., the Sigma 1K B really brings out an initial edge with a slightly polished finish. This stone really reacts well with the harder RC steels and leaves an edge that is ready to use, and clean and prepped for further cleanup by finer grits.
On Carbide Forming Steel and More Abrasion Resistant Steel Edges such as D2, M2, S35V, S90V, VG-10, etc., The Sigma 1K B smooths out previous scratches, leaving the surface of the blade prepped for further refinement.
Hacks and Tips:
- This stone is more of a finishing 1K, not as aggressive and gritty as others.
- To clean up the scratches before moving to another grit, let the paste on the stone dry out slightly. This will leave a slightly less scratchy finish in preparation for the next grit.
- This stone will dish with use. Lap this stone with an extra coarse diamond plate, silicon carbide (SiC) powder, or very low grit wet dry sandpaper to keep it consistently flat and clean.
Comparable Stones: Naniwa 1K Chocolate Bar, Suehiro 1K R
Alternative Premium Level Stones: Naniwa Chosera 1K, Shapton 1K, Sigma Select II 1K, Suehiro 1K Cerax
Alternative Mid Level Stones: Jende 1K SPK, Jende 1K Gray, Jende 1K SF, Naniwa 1K Goken Pro, Nubatama 1K