1x6 Sigma 1,200 Select II
1x6 Sigma Ceramic, Oribest and Select II stones for the Edge Pro, Hapstone Sharpener & TSProf.
The 1x6 Sigma Select II 1200 grit stone is a medium grit stone used for light profiling, routine repairs, initial sharpening, and can be used as a very respectable worksharp edge or as a step for continuing to further refinement. The harder matrix of this stone makes it very suitable for softer steels.
1" x 6" x 5mm in size and mounted to a steel blank, it is used with water only and work best when soaked in water for a minute or two before use. Store in a dry place in between use.
Abrasive Material: Aluminum Oxide
Ideal place in a sharpening progression:
- Starting grit for routine repairs and light profiling.
- Starting grit for initial sharpening and maintenance
- Cleaning of deep scratches made by extra coarse and coarse diamond grit plates.
- After coarse belt grinder grits (80, 100, 120, 220, A65 Trizact grit)
- After coarser sharpening stones (120-1K grit)
- As a final stone leaving a very respectable working sharp edge.
- Before progressing finer medium grits and initial polishing stones (2K-6K grit)
The Sigma Select II 1200 sharpening stone is a premium level medium grit sharpening stone that works on almost all types of knives, scissors, tools and chisels, including those made with abrasion resistant steels. While the 1x6 size is meant for use with the Edge Pro, Hapstone and TSProf sharpeners, it is also a great size for a slip stone, field stone or a pocket stone for knife repairs and sharpening on the go.
This stone can also be used in a mix and match progression of other synthetic and natural sharpening stones, well with other brands such as Naniwa, Shapton, Suehiro, Imanishi, Spyderco, King, etc. This is a waterstone, and is not to be used with oil, but can be used in conjunction with oil stones (such as Norton India and other carborundum and Arkansas stones) if the blade is wiped clean before and after switching stone types.
On More Traditional Carbon Steel and Stainless Steel Edges the Sigma Select II 1200 works on steels between RC 52 and RC 65 on the Rockwell C Hardness scale. The stone’s formulation and abrasive combo works excels at reprofiling and repairing of the softer end of the spectrum of most steels used by many kitchen knife makers like Henckels, Wüsthof, Gunter Wilhelm, F Dick, Victorinox, etc. and steels like X50CrMoV15, AUS6, and 440B. This is an ideal 1 stone solution.
On the higher end of the hardness spectrum of traditional steel edges made with steels like 1095, 440C, 52100, Aogami White, O1, Shirogami Blue, W1, etc., the Sigma Select II 1200 really brings out an initial edge with sharp and even edge that is ready to use, and clean and prepped for further cleanup by finer grits.
On Carbide Forming Steel and More Abrasion Resistant Steel Edges such as D2, M2, S35V, S90V, VG-10, etc., The Sigma Select II 1200 removes matrix steel and carbides, cleans up the scratches from earlier grits, and leaves the surface of the blade prepped for further refinement.
Hacks and Tips:
- Keep the surface of this stone clean with water for more aggression.
- To squeeze out a slightly finer edge than advertised, let the black paste on the stone build and slightly dry out. This paste will leave a slightly less scratchy finish in preparation for the next grit.
- This stone will dish with use. Lap this stone with an extra coarse diamond plate, silicon carbide (SiC) powder, or low grit wet dry sandpaper to keep it consistently flat and clean.
Alternative Economy Level Stones: King 1200