1x6 Jende 8K Speckled
Jende Stones for the Edge Pro 1x6
The 1x6 Jende 8K SPK or Jende 8K Speckled is the finest stone and finest polishing stone in the Speckled series. It leaves a bright mirror polish and enables the edge to slice smoothly and effortlessly. It leaves a great edge for use, or for further refinement with finer grit stones or strops.
1" x 6" x 5mm in size and mounted to a steel blank, the Jende 8K SPK stone is used with water only and works best when soaked in water for a minute or two before use. Store in a dry place in between use.
Abrasive: Aluminum Oxide
Ideal place in a sharpening progression:
- Starting grit for routine maintenance on a dull but otherwise intact edge.
- After lower grit sharpening stones (2K - 6K grit)
- Before progressing to a finer polishing grit stone (10K+ grit)
- Before progressing to strops and emulsions (2 micron and finer)
The Jende 8K Speckled sharpening stone works on almost all types of knives, scissors, tools and chisels, including those made with abrasion resistant steels. Even though the 1x6 size is meant for use with the Edge Pro, Hapstone and TSProf sharpeners, it is also a great size for a slip stone, field stone or a pocket stone for knife sharpening on the go, or to remove unwanted burrs.
This is a waterstone, and is be used with water only, but can be used in conjunction with oil stones (such as Norton India and other carborundum and Arkansas stones) if the blade is wiped clean before and after switching stone types. They can also be used in a mix and match progression with other synthetic and natural sharpening stones, as well with other brands such as Naniwa, Shapton, Sigma, Suehiro, Imanishi, Spyderco, King, etc.
On More Traditional Carbon Steel and Stainless Steel Edges, the Jende *k Speckled stone works on steels between RC 52 and RC 65 on the Rockwell C Hardness scale. On softer end steels such as X50CrMoV15, AUS6, 440B, and most stainless steels used by many kitchen knife makers like Henckels, Wüsthof, Gunter Wilhelm, F Dick, Victorinox, etc., this stone establishes a mirror finish slicing edge that is about the maximum ideal refinement level for many of these softer end steels.
On the higher end of the hardness spectrum of traditional steel edges made with steels like 1095, 52100, 440C, Aogami White, Shirogami Blue, O1, W1, etc. The Jende 8K SPK brings out a brighter mirrored slicing edge which can be used as a working sharp edge, or one ready for more refinement.
On Carbide Forming Steel and More Abrasion Resistant Steel Edges such as VG-10, D2, M2, S35V, S90V, etc., The Jende 8K SPK is a polishing stone that leaves a shiny finish with a smooth slicing edge. The edge can be used as is or be further refined with stropping or finer grit stones.
Hacks and Tips:
- Use a moderate amount of water when sharpening with this stone to avoid the black swarf from turning into a thick paste. A cleaner surface will cut faster than a thicker pasted one.
- If using this stone as a final grit, keep the black swarf viscous and it will produce a slightly more refined edge.
- Lap this stone with a coarse or fine diamond plate, silicon carbide (SiC) powder, or medium/fine grit (220-400) wet dry sand paper to keep it consistently flat and clean.
Comparable Stones: Naniwa 8K Snow White, Shapton 8K