1x4 Jende Speckled 8K SPK
1x4 Jende Speckled Stones for the KME Sharpener
The 1x4 Jende 8K SPK or Jende 8K Speckled is the finest stone and finest polishing stone in the Speckled series. It leaves a bright mirror polish and enables the edge to slice smoothly and effortlessly. It leaves a great edge for use, or for further refinement with finer grit stones or strops.
This stone is 1" x 4" in size mounted to an aluminum blank with a total thickness of 5-6mm and used with water only. It works best when soaked in water for a minute or two before use. Let air dry and store dry when not in use.
Abrasive: Aluminum Oxide
Ideal place in a sharpening progression:
- Starting grit for routine maintenance on a dull but otherwise intact edge.
- After lower grit sharpening stones (2K - 6K grit)
- Before progressing to a finer polishing grit stone (10K+ grit)
- Before progressing to strops and emulsions (2 micron and finer)
The Jende 8K Speckled sharpening stone works on almost all types of knives, scissors, tools and chisels, including those made with abrasion resistant steels. While the 1x4 size is meant for use with the KME Sharpener, it is also a great size for a slip stone, field stone or a pocket stone for knife repairs and sharpening on the go, or to remove unwanted burrs.
This is a waterstone, and is be used with water only, but can be used in conjunction with oil stones (such as Norton India and other carborundum and Arkansas stones) if the blade is wiped clean before and after switching stone types. They can also be used in a mix and match progression with other synthetic and natural sharpening stones, as well with other brands such as Naniwa, Shapton, Sigma, Suehiro, Imanishi, Spyderco, King, etc.
On More Traditional Carbon Steel and Stainless Steel Edges, the Jende *k Speckled stone works on steels between RC 52 and RC 65 on the Rockwell C Hardness scale. On softer end steels such as X50CrMoV15, AUS6, 440B, and most stainless steels used by many kitchen knife makers like Henckels, Wüsthof, Gunter Wilhelm, F Dick, Victorinox, etc., this stone establishes a mirror finish slicing edge that is about the maximum ideal refinement level for many of these softer end steels.
On the higher end of the hardness spectrum of traditional steel edges made with steels like 1095, 52100, 440C, Aogami White, Shirogami Blue, O1, W1, etc. The Jende 8K SPK brings out a brighter mirrored slicing edge which can be used as a working sharp edge, or one ready for more refinement.
On Carbide Forming Steel and More Abrasion Resistant Steel Edges such as VG-10, D2, M2, S35V, S90V, etc., The Jende 8K SPK is a polishing stone that leaves a shiny finish with a smooth slicing edge. The edge can be used as is or be further refined with stropping or finer grit stones.
Hacks and Tips:
- Use a moderate amount of water when sharpening with this stone to avoid the black swarf from turning into a thick paste. A cleaner surface will cut faster than a thicker pasted one.
- If using this stone as a final grit, keep the black swarf viscous and it will produce a slightly more refined edge.
- Lap this stone with a coarse or fine diamond plate, silicon carbide (SiC) powder, or medium/fine grit (220-400) wet dry sand paper to keep it consistently flat and clean.
Comparable Stones: Naniwa 8K Snow White, Shapton 8K